Thursday, January 24, 2013

(almost) 31 week midwife appt

Yesterday, I met with the other midwife in my practice---loved her!  I felt as though she was very thorough and she had a very calming demeanor...different from the time I saw her in the office when I was pregnant with Judah.  Then, she was really abrupt and basically just sent me to the hospital.  She did check in on me after I gave birth but since I didn't have a connection with her, prior, I didn't really make the effort to bond with her then....and I was a train wreck from my delivery lol
After discussing my history with her and what's been going on so far this pregnancy, she wanted to check me to get a general idea of where I was at since I didn't have an ultrasound today (Sheela said I could cancel the ultrasound if I didn't have a bunch of bad days between appointments). She said baby's head is low, pressing on my cervix, flattening/ thinning out the front but the back is still thick (or vice versa, I forget!). She said she can feel I'm definitely down from my last measurement of 3.1...she'd guess around 2.5.  She then called upstairs because she wanted me to get in for an ultrasound, but since it was the end of the day, Jenn had already gone home.  She said If I have a significant run of contractions with the back pain I've been getting, I should call for an ultrasound within the week.  Otherwise, she feels comfortable with me waiting the 2 weeks til next appt. since I said it's such a drive--costs about $10-15 in gas, for each appointment.
She said she really wants me to be taking it easy, especially over the next few weeks.  She wants me to be doing less than I already am (that's what they keep saying!), no sex, and taking preventive measures to keep the baby's weight off my cervix since now is when normal women begin to start experiencing some shortening, under regular circumstances, and since I've already got a pretty good jump start on things...it could get sketchy quick.  
 She discussed steroid shots for Aylah's lungs, but thankfully, she didn't feel that I needed to be admitted yesterday, and also said that based on the next ultrasound, they might send me over to the hopsital to be monitored because I might be having more contractions than I realize (which also was the case with Judah). Oh, and my cervix is still towards the back and I'm not dilated.  Totally awesome for that!
 Up to 146 lbs...Growing, growing!
 See you along the journey--   

No comments:

Post a Comment