Let me first start off my saying that I am reclined in my zero gravity chair and thoroughly enjoying every second. It's more comfortable than my bed or on the couch. Wise investment.
Now down to baby business. Wednesday I started not feeling well during the afternoon and into the evening. The past few days prior, I was feeling a lot of pressure as well, so when I woke up Thursday morning to more preterm labor symptoms, I knew I had to call Sheela. She told me to come down the hospital for some testing. Jared was working so I got up, got ready and headed down there by myself.
They took my blood and urine (oh nice, I hate saying urine, it's another one of those words I don't care for). Blood came back with high white blood cells, urine was okay.
Sheela wanted a fetal fibronectin test done which determines if my body is releasing some sort of chemical showing the likelihood that I'll go into labor within the next 2 weeks, but I wont get that back for a few days.
I had my ultrasound and that showed that my cervix shortened from 2.6 down to 2.2 within a week. The good news is that I wasn't dilated, but I am 70% effaced--bad news.
Since my white blood cells were high that's a sign of infection so I was started on IV antibiotics and some fluids to keep me hydrated.
I was hooked up to the monitors to check on my contractions. Turns out I was having a lot more than I even realized that I was having, so I had two shots of steroids to quickly develop the baby's lungs. At this point they are nervous that Judah will be making an early appearance. I also started a medicine to calm the contractions and it seems to have definitely reduced their frequency and intensity. At this point, Jared arrived at the hospital and Sheela hooked us up with a huge awesome room with gigantic windows and a ton of privacy and we got settled in.
I responded well to the medicine throughout the night (oh and they tipped my bed backwards while I slept to reduce pressure from gravity) and as long as I wasn't having any major contractions, they would let me home around lunch time.
They did and now I'm home. It's so nice to be home...I'm on complete bed rest now though...I'm not allowed to sit up anymore or do anything besides go to the bathroom, shower, and make a quick run to the chiropractor if I need to. I'm hoping this antibiotic will really help and so will the Procardia for the contractions. We love Judah and want him to keep baking away.
If he comes within the next 6 weeks, I will have to deliver at a local hospital since they have a NICU. I won't be able to have Sheela and will just have a regular doctor and whatever nurses are on. This hospital is much bigger and has a totally different idea of operation than the hospital than we chose. Judah, stay put! Most important is what God wants and that Judah is safe so we're just remaining faithful and resting in the fact that this is all a part of God's plan that he will be able to carry us through.
My next appointment is Thursday and I will go back to have another ultrasound, unless contractions pick back up again and back to the hospital we will go.
Jared has been amazing and the support and love of our friends has been overwhelming. There is so much to be thankful for and even though this experience is very difficult, it has brought so very many great things to our lives. God is good, no matter what.
See you along the journey--
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment